Monday, October 14, 2013

10 reasons to stitch

this was in a newsletter I got , thought I would share:

Top 10 Reasons to Stitch






1.It is physically relaxing. Studies show that repetitive activities, like stitching, reduce your blood pressure.

2.It is mentally relaxing. A focused mind is a quiet mind. Problems and annoyances take a back seat. At the same time, a quiet mind is great at contemplating and generating creative ideas. I can't count the number of times solutions to problems have come to me while I was stitching.

3.It increases self-esteem. It's satisfying to complete a project, and we feel more confident in undertaking a new one. Self-esteem is often addressed in terms of children, but guess what, we all need a healthy dose.

4.It builds learning skills. Research shows that hands-on activities increase learning. Furthermore, I believe that what we learn in one craft gives us insights and abilities in other, unrelated activities. I believe my embroidery skills helped me wire my house for electricity. Really!

5.It's healthy and therapeutic. It builds motor skills and might help prevent arthritis. Physical therapists recommend crafts to some clients in recovery.

6.It provides quality time for friends and family. Crafting together offers opportunities to build relationships and lasting memories.

7.It connects us through time and space. People all over the world and throughout history embroider. We all leave a legacy of needlework.

8.It gives us something constructive to do during otherwise boring or sedentary moments: sitting in waiting rooms, attending community council meetings, watching TV.

9.It makes us role models, demonstrating the value in creative endeavors and encouraging others to explore their own creativity.

10.And the very best reason (the only one you need): It's fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment